google.com, pub-2423788721909791, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Frank Zappa A Tribute To Jimi Hendrix

Guitar World april 1987

Was there ever a practitioner of the guitar--- Hendrix, say----that blew you away in terms of being a total original? 

    One of the most interesting guys on guitar on the planet is Allan Holdsworth. I really respect his playing.
    Billy Gibbons is an original. The style that he does, although I know a lot of the blues antecedents that it was derived from, he goes like that [raises middle finger again]. You've gotta have that in your playing.
    I thought Hendrix was great. But the very first time I saw him I had the incredible misfortune to be sitting real close to him at the Au Go Go in New York City, and he had a whole stack of Marshalls and I was right in front of it. I was physically ill--I couldn't get out, it was so packed I couldn't escape. And although it was great, I didn't see how anybody could inflict that kind of volume on himself let alone other people. That particular show he ended by taking the guitar and impaling it in the low ceiling of the club. Just walked away and left it squealing.



Frank Zappa A Tribute To Jimi Hendrix Frank Zappa A Tribute To Jimi Hendrix Reviewed by frank zappa newspaper on 11:44 Rating: 5

No comments :

Powered by Blogger.