Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - 13 - 1974 05 08 Edinboro PA (SBD) - Dupree's Paradise (Zappa Stream Radio)
Thanks to Zappateers Radio - www.norbert.de

The audition ZAPPA

So I was in that mode of being very hungry to rehearse and to learn, and that's really what you needed in a situation with Frank. Because with Frank you have to be on--I mean, it's a big boy's game--when Frank walks in, you just have to be on.

I remember my audition because he asked me to come down and learn all these songs--and obviously when I got there we didn't play any of the songs that he told me to learn, but I got through--but then he says to me, "Okay, play this," and he picks up his guitar and kind of cryptically plays a line--because Frank had a particular style and it wasn't of the virtuoso-type nature, you know what I mean? It was more visceral.

So he plays through something and says, "Now play it at this tempo," and snaps his fingers. And I'm watching closely because you got to get it right like that or you're out of there, and I say "Okay" and play it--and there's all these guys around and everything, and I'm 20 years old, and he says, "Now add this note here," and he plays a note, so I say "Okay" and I thought about it and I add the note, and he says "Now play it in 7/8," so I say "Okay" and play it in 7/8, and he says, "Now play it in 7/8 reggae," and I thought for a minute and I say "Okay" and I play it in 7/8 reggae! And it's this ridiculous line that should never be played on a guitar, and then he goes, "Now add this note," and he plays a note, and I thought for a minute and I look up at him and say, "It's impossible"--because it was! Nobody could do it, you know? And he puts his hands on his hips and goes, "Well, I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player...."




0 komentarji :

Post a Comment

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

"Joe's Garage Acts I II & III" "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary" Absolutely free Ad film Adrian Belew ahmet album album covers albums Ami Hadani animation asteroid audition Aynsley Dunbar Baby Snakes Backing Track BBC best birthday Bizarre Records Bobby Brown bootleg Bruce Dickford Captain Beefheart classical music compilation concert conctract cover Cream Denny Walley discography DiscReet Records Diva Muffin Documentary Does Humor Belong in Music? Don Pardo drugs drummers Dub Room Special dvd dweezil Ed Seeman Edgard Varèse effects equipment eric clapton Ethnicity festival Fillmore East film Francesco Zappa Frank Zappa book Freak ou! freak out list Freak out! Gail Zappa George Duke Grammy Award Groupies guitar guitar album Guitar World halloween Harry Andronis Hendrix herb cohen Hot Rats illustrator incident instrumental Interstellar Zappadrive interview iq jam jazz from hell jazz fusion Jeannie Vassoir Jeff Simmons Jimmy Carl Black Joe's Camouflage Johnny "Guitar" Watson Johnny Cash Just Another Band from L.A. Kay Rush keyboards Lennon Lenny Bruce Lessons letter list Listen to Lorraine Belcher Lyrics Lyrics-"200 Motels" Lyrics-"Absolutely Free" Lyrics-"Apostrophe (')" Lyrics-"Bongo Fury" lyrics-"Burnt Weeny Sandwich" lyrics-"Chunga's Revenge" lyrics-"Cruising With Ruben & The Jets" lyrics-"Fillmore East Lyrics-"Freak Out!" lyrics-"Hot Rats" lyrics-"Joe's Garage Acts I II & III" lyrics-"Just Another Band From L.A." lyrics-"Lumpy Gravy" Lyrics-"One Size Fits All" Lyrics-"Over-Nite Sensation" Lyrics-"Roxy & Elsewhere" Lyrics-"Sheik Yerbouti" Lyrics-"Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar" Lyrics-"Sleep Dirt" Lyrics-"Studio Tan" Lyrics-"The Grand Wazoo" Lyrics-"Tinsel Town Rebellion" lyrics-"Uncle Meat" Lyrics-"Waka/Jawaka" lyrics-"Weasels Ripped My Flesh" Lyrics-"Zappa In New York" Lyrics-"Zoot Allures" Lyrics-Joe's XMASage LYRICS-Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch Marc Maron Mario Fuente Matt Groening Maurizio Miele Max Bennett Miami Vice Miles Davis Moon Unit Zappa mp3 Muffin Man Musical style musicians NBC Neon Park New York news newspaper P. acnes zappae painting Pamela Des Barres Payback pedals Peter Wolf phone call PMRC Producer Production Project/Object quotes radio Ray Collins review rock and roll hall of fame Rod Stewart Roister Ronald Reagan Roxy & Elsewhere Ruth Underwood Santana secret word serial exercise show signature sketch Slonimsky SNL solo song songs soundtrack Steve Vai Stevie Vai Stevie Wonder Sting Straight Records studio Studio Tan studio z Suzy Creamcheese Pamela Zarubica Suzy Zeiger Sweden Synclavier synthesizer tabs Terry Bozzio The "piano people" experiment The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life The Fillmore Auditorium The Grand Wazoo The GTO's The Man From Utopia The Mothers Of Invention The Ramblers The Ren & Stimpy Show the simpsons The Steve Allen Show Tim Buckley tina turner Tom Hidley Tom Wilson Tommy Mars tour dates TTG Studios TV uncle meat video Wah Wah Waka/Jawaka We Don't Mess Around We're Only In It For The Money Weird Al" Yankovic Werner Bros Win This Frank Zappa Record Wonderful Wino Xenochrony Zappa zappa plays zappa Zappa's Manager Zoot Allures